Thursday, August 18, 2005

Cindy's 15




I was kinda tickled to see the small mob of people milling around the intersection of Scott and N. Decatur last night waving signs in sympathy with Cindy Sheehan last night. I waved and honked, what else can you do?

I was on my way to a rehearsal for a theater production I'm in and made a cautious mention of the protest and someone started huffing about how horrible it was that Cindy was defaming the sacrifice of her dead son and how she should be a good girl and just shut the f*** up and take it like all of the other grieving parents. (I'm paraphrasing a bit )

I kinda expected something like that since I've heard excerpts of Festus's minions on Air America excoriating Cindy as if she were spawned in blood, acid and flames from Satan's own loins. Sad, really. But as much as I hate to say it, I think Cindy should realize her limitations as a media star and start to wind it up. She's accomplished a lot, but she's up against the problem that some people can't separate the message from the medium. Maybe a visit from Howard Dean might cap it off like some crisis negotiator talking someone out of leaping off a bridge to their death.

She's been quoted as saying that Bush is a murderer and terrorist, which might be semantically accurate, but it just doesn't play well. The harm of these statements is that anyone sitting on the fence over the issue of why we went to Iraq will only see the wingnut side of Sheehan and not hear her main plea.

Why did you mislead us into war in Iraq, Mr. Bush? Why did my son have to die for someone elses freedom?


I'd like to know the answer to that too. . .